4 Health Benefits of Traveling for Seniors
Travelling is beneficial to all people of any age. It allows our mind and body to relax and rejuvenate from daily grind and to widen our horizons. But for seniors, travelling to visit friends, to a favorite city or undiscovered place can offer something to look forward — a great opportunity of more fun and excitement.
Here are 4 health benefits of traveling for seniors.
1. Mental and emotional Health.
Loneliness and isolation have been associated with depression, poor mood, and other mental and emotional problems, particularly for older adults. Thus, for seniors, traveling to visit friends and relatives can be an awesome way to experience fun and social interaction—to reconnect with old friends, to build stronger ties to loved ones and uphold healthy relationships.
2. Spiritual Health.
According to studies, as you age, traveling to different places and amazing vacations for seniors can promote spiritual benefits such as: rediscovering purpose and meaning of your life, enhancing your understanding of other people and improving your relationships with nature.
3. Cognitive Health.
Traveling to different places allows you and your senior loved ones to meet new people, discover new environments, and engage in activities that are unique from your usual routine. Traveling is one of the most beneficial social interactions and leisure activities for seniors that can exercise and stimulate your brain, keeping your mind sharp and alert that may help prevent cognitive decline and reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s, memory loss and dementia.
4. Heart Health.
Traveling isn’t just beneficial for your mental and emotional wellbeing, but it can also help you stay physically fit. Traveling may even protect your heart because it involves physical activities and exercises like leisure walking which is good for the heart — reduce the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke for seniors.
Staying healthy and safe while traveling is very important so that you can enjoy the health benefits that traveling offers. So here are travel hacks for seniors.
1. Plan in advance, especially for seniors with health issues. Make sure to bring all medications when you travel and also bring with you any prescription information in case you need to replenish. Also, make sure to bring your mobile phone and medical alert systems when you travel. Your biggest concern when traveling is your safety and comfort, so be sure to make everything available when you need it and remember to pack the essentials while keeping it light.
2. If seniors have mobility limitations, ensure to check if your service providers can provide proper accommodations such as access to a wheelchair at an airport, working elevators or a ground floor room at a hotel.
3. Ensure choose and book seats that are close to the lavatory particularly with extra-long flights for your convenience, and remember to wear appropriate clothing and footwear like socks and caps for your comfort.
4. When you travel, you want to see all the beautiful scenery and panorama and dig in all the culture of the place, but don’t get overly excited. Remember the purpose of your travel vacation is to relax and rejuvenate, so take some time to rest when you feel exhausted.
These are some of the benefits of traveling for seniors. How do you benefit from travel? What is your next travel destination? Feel free to share your thoughts.